• Friday, July 21, 2006

    When foie gras is outlawed, only outlaws will have foie.

    Better writer than coder, but learning. Apparently, search engines don't like titles ending in question marks. HTML and I are not yet best friends.

    For those interested in the foie gras war, you might be interested in a piece that pre-dates the Whole Foods genuflect of the century. Just a few months ago, sane gourmands could openly lust after foie. It was only April when the McCarthyism of food was still just a bad dream.

    I thought I'd invite you to review my post from April, yes April...in case you couldn't find it. Eating a Whole Lobe of Foie Gras. It was prompted by my favorite eater/ author/ traveler/ chef/host guy: Anthony Bourdain. The episode in question shows him at Pied au Cochon in Montreal, under threat of death, eating multiple courses of foie. What a way to go, second only to... well you know.

    I loved Gastropoda's quote about too many mammograms to sympathize with death by feeding, this was back when the madness was starting to pick up steam.

    ...in Chicago, the City Council is more worried about ducks being force-fed. Clearly, the 48 of 49 cretins who voted to ban the sale of foie gras have never been to a dairy and seen what they do to cows. Maybe I’ve had too many mammograms, but I can tell you I would rather have corn endlessly rammed down my throat than stand in shit and be mechanically milked twice a day, without even memories of green pastures in sunshine to distract me.

    Brava, Regina!

    By the way, I just read something saying "P.E.T.A." actually stands for People Eating Tasty Animals. Senator McCarthy, I must admit. I am a member.
    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Michael said...

    Though I am far too picky an eater to be a fan of foie (how can we be related?), I still shook my head ruefully when I read about this. How can Chicago have its collective head so far up its own ass? What's next, outlaw leather belts? Meals made with eggs? I love what Mayor Daley said, "We have real issues here in this city. And we're dealing with foie gras? Let's get some priorities."

    11:27 AM  
    Blogger Michael said...

    By the way, I'm not just a client of People Eating Tasty Animals, I'm also its president.

    11:28 AM  
    Blogger JacquelineC said...

    I know, lets' split the presidency, think anyone will buy that we're twins?

    2:39 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home