• Tuesday, June 06, 2006

    Sauvage? Moi?

    Yes, savagely in love with Asparagus. Finding some "asperges sauvage" in Savenor's yesterday, I immediately recalled my trip 3 (eek) years ago which included my first ever trip to French Laundry, my first ever trip to the even better La Toque and my first experience with wild asparagus.

    So delicate, so tender and yet so ...(dare I say it?...phallic.) O come on, look at them. It didn't occur to you? Well yes, this is exciting stuff...Just the crisp, green delicate flavor of asparagus, slightly reminiscent of its family tree (also containing onions, leeks and garlic).

    Anyway, I promised myself and anyone that would listen that this blog would not turn into the prosaic "what I had for dinner" dreck, but you will indulge me just this once?

    I blanched the tender young wild asparagus, then tossed them a bit with some EVOO and one clove of garlic slivered ever so thin. After the farfalle were al dente (we must dress for our special dinner guest, mais non?) tossed the garlic, oil, asparagus into the pasta pot, with some light cream. As the cream reduced, tossed the farfalle back in with some freshly grated Parmesan. Topped with fleur de sel and crushed black pepper. Heaven.

    Also on the menu: grilled sandwich steaks done with jerk marinade, shrimp marinated briefly (garlic, Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, juice of half lemon, zest of half lemon, healthy grinds* of black pepper, chile de arbol, splash of wine) then grilled. And an Australian Chardonnay. Who knew they make decent whites?

    I also came across great posts by asparagus lovers Seriously Good: Asparagus Roundup VI.

    *If you haven't done so yet, beg, borrow or steal to acquire a Peugot Pepper Mill. No metal on metal mill: this is designed to crush the peppercorns. It is a surprising difference both in flavor and ease of use. Well worth every penny.

    Healthy too?
    • A 5.3 ounce serving (approximately 5 spears) has only 20 calories, 0 fat or cholesterol, 5 milligrams of sodium, 400 milligrams of potassium, 3 grams of fiber, 60% of the USRDA of folacin, and are excellent sources of thiamin and vitamin B6.
    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home