• Wednesday, March 28, 2007

    More on Grill Bitches and "Lat-eeenos"

    From Bourdain, posting on Ruhlman...he rants about the egregious racism of the James Beard house in this post on Ruhlman.com taking up his favorite cause celebre of Mexicans in the kitchen, but I just want some of these macho big boys in the food world to acknowledge sexism in the business. (For the record, I do think he's spot on about who does a lot of the work in kitchens that goes unrecognized).

    For me, it's all disgusting and part of my experience in the business and in other businesses. It ain't new and it ain't going away until it's openly acknowledged, till guys at the top own it, and choose to do something different going forward.

    As I pointed out previously here, only when someone like Bourdain calls a GUY a name like "The Grill Bitch" and means it as a compliment, and it's taken as such; only then will we be sure we've made some progress.

    And if Bourdain deplores the James Beard House so, why does he still go to their events?

    Labels: , ,

    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

    3 Comments:

    Blogger M said...

    Absorbing train of thought. I've been very familiar with the term and the inherent sexism/racism in kitchen life (behind the scenes). Oftentimes, there's even a little homophobia thrown in there - when men assume that if a woman's on the line she is a lesbian.

    On a more positive note, I thought you might enjoy reading about one of MPL's celebrated chefs, a woman.

    http://www.lucias.com/bio/bio.htm

    I believe she's actually been recognized by that Beard fellow.

    4:12 PM  
    Blogger JacquelineC said...

    I'll check it out. Thanks for stopping by. I often wonder whether homophobia I observe has to do with the general state of males of a certain age group... then again, many don't seem to evolve past about 14 chronologically. IMHO.

    8:42 PM  
    Blogger Pyewacket said...

    Hi! This is Kathleen, otherwise known as pyewacket from The Seasonal Cook and NewEnglandGrown. Along with Helen of Beyond Salmon and Joan of Urban Agrarian, I'm organizing a potluck for Boston food bloggers. This will be very casual, just at my apartment in Cambridge, with people bringing either home-cooked or purchased food as they wish. We're planning on Saturday, May 5, at 7:00. Please let me know if you would like to join us by emailing me at kjweldonATyahooDOTcom.

    9:41 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home